Saturday, November 1, 2008

Ups and Downs of Writing: From Deadlines to Revision




Deadlines, deadlines. They help motivate and drive you to your ending point. With the end of the second book in sight, I strive towards that ending. Finally, having started Chapter 11, I can feel the end in sight for the second book "The Lost Secret of the Green Man."
But there is more to writing than deadlines. It's all about the revision. Once that first version of the book is finally in black and white, than the fine tuning and polishing begins. Most people don't get much revision techniques taught in school. It is the hardest part of writing to teach. So, it is also the hardest to learn, because just like Math, it takes practice.


But I also think the revision is the most fun, because that is where an author can add layers. The theme is brought out more, character details are added, and the manuscript is fleshed out. One of the many things I've learned from writing my first novel and now it's sequel, is that there is always more to learn about writing.
If you want to find out yourself, I've posted the first of different writing projects onto my website for new or established author's to try out. They are even encouraged for children as well. Having been a teacher for over 10 years, I have developed Writing Workshop projects over the years that I find are very effective to get those creative ideas following.

My website can be found at:
http://www.tiffmeister.net/writer.html
Keep looking for new projects to be added each couple of months. You never know what you can create until you try it yourself.

No comments:

Widget_logo
TopOfBlogs