Thursday, November 15, 2007

My first book released!

As any writer knows, there is a day job. Mine is teaching. This helps with the fact I've been working on a children's novel series over the last 3 years. So, after all the work of writing, taking writing workshops, going to conferences, and maybe a prayer or two, my book is finally a reality. It has finally been released by Trafford Publishing.
Now, how did this happen? After 2 years of work, I felt the novel was ready to be shopped around. I sent out to several publishers over a year. Some returned with a rejection within a month, 3 months, 2 weeks, and the record holding rejection, 8 months.
After all of this, and literally waiting for the paint to peal in my condo during the last 8 months, I found a self-publishing company in Canada called Trafford Publishing.
It was founded by writers as frustrated as I was by the snail pace trail of rejection most writers faced. It takes months, no years, before anyone might consider your work. Mostly because you were new and unpublished. I had heard a story from another author at a writing conference that mentioned that he had self-published, and then after while of being on his own, he was picked up by an imprint eventually.
This got me thinking. If I could get my novel out there for hungry minds, make some sales, get some numbers, maybe an imprint would want to pick it up as well. Trafford does print to order sales. I liked this option instead of ebooks since children are less likely to carry around a computer print-out. Well, at least maybe children don't now. I still think ebooks will catch on eventually, but then that will be another subject to blog later.
So, after the last rejection, I became the editor of my novel. I enlisted a friend of mine from my Ren. Faire Acting Guild to do the cover art and title page illustration. I designed a cover, wrote the back cover info, webpage, and other items required.
All of my lessons in teaching Young Author's Faire books came to life in this book. Young Author's Faire is a motivational competiton/celebration for children to write stories and put them on display. They have to make a book, using real books as a blue print. All of the lessons I'd taught to make a Young Author's Book, title page, dedication page, etc., helped me to create the living parts of my novel.
And now, after the 2-3 week rewrite, sending the manuscript, and going over the proof, it is now released.
However, the publishing industry is still at the snail pace. The nice thing is Trafford is similar in the small publisher sense because they send out press releases on their list of books through publishing distribution channels. And it takes weeks, maybe months, for the info to trickle down to the databases, on-line retailers, and special order lists. It will be on Amazon.com within 6-8 weeks. But that is the fastest lister. Barnes and Nobles.com could take 6-8 months, if the buyers think my book may sell.
But, it's out there. It is now available for purchasing, and children to become entangled in daydreams I turned into the story. The crystal cave under my house is now real. The fairies and creatures in the creek near my house are real. The orchard, destroyed and built on now, is alive again in the novel. Hopefully, this generation, and future generations, can go on an adventure in their minds that is save and fun.
My book is published.
Now what?

1 comment:

ShawnS said...

Congrats on this accomplishment! I am very excited for you. I think I would like to read this book. I have a strange feeling that I may have some personal connections to the setting. :P

-Your Sis.

Widget_logo
TopOfBlogs