Friday, November 16, 2007

Support for the Writers Guild of America

4 cents to 8 cents. After twenty years, that is not too much to ask. And just something, a few cents per download on the internet, because all the TV writers get now is 0 cents. Out of billions of dollars, it is not much to ask.

Writing is something you put your heart and soul in. My book is my baby. Every episode of my favorite shows, like today's CSI that had me balling like a baby because Sarah has left. Ooops. Sorry for those who haven't seen, but it is a good story, with a past character plot twist.
But like I said, writers live to tell a good story. It's not too much to ask to pay the morgage, and pay for health care for their family.

Now, my day job, is also a union job. I am a card carrying Union Member in my teacher's union. And I've gone on a bus to Sacramento a few years ago protesting the Governor and the funding for schools. I walked a picket protest in front of the Fairmont Hotel in San Jose when the governor held a fundraising dinnner. I was there when the teachers, nurses, and firefighters chased limos of people supporting this governor that was blaming us for the states problems, the pillars of the state.

I've seen the powers that be BLAME THE LITTLE PEOPLE. But stories are loved. Writers bring joy to the little people with their work, just as other unions build the country, teach the future, save lives. I have never understood the illogic of not supporting unions. Unions protect the little people, and any union member should support what is going on in Hollywood. Sometimes just fighting to get enough to eat and be healthy is all that is asked for. And what I don't understand, is why it has to be fought for.

Unions stay solid! We did in California and swept away what the governor was trying to do. Solidarity does work!

No comments:

Widget_logo
TopOfBlogs